4 Behaviors You Never Want to See in a Leader | Entrepreneur.com
BY Jeff Boss|March 14, 2014
We all have our own perceptions of what “effective” leadership looks like, so trying to define what is right to hundreds or thousands of people would be an effort in futility -- like asking your boss for a raise after making fun of his new haircut.
A Google search of leadership yields 159,000,000 results. Try boiling that down into a shared definition of what leadership means and your life, as you know it, will be over.
But if we flip this construct on its head, I am willing to bet that there are non-desirable leadership behaviors we could all agree on; behaviors that simply do not create value for people.
Try this exercise. Make a list of eight leadership behaviors that you would not want to see, and then compare your top four to mine below: 1. Complaining. Not cool. I remember something one of my SEAL team leaders said that was so simple and impactful it has stuck with me to this day: “Complaints go up, not down.” Criticizing another leader in the company of followers does two things, neither of which is a great way to make friends:
It undermines leadership efforts. One of the many challenges an organizational leader faces is buy-in from his people. What he doesn’t need is one of his appointed deputies barking insults behind his back, because doing so only erodes the trust that was built.
It establishes your reputation as a gossip hound. Authenticity is about dealing with conflict as it happens rather than waiting for the leader to leave the room. When people know where you stand, they also know what you stand for. Related: When Ego Is the Enemy 2. Emotional volatility. Not to be confused with expressing emotion. Leaders are expected to comport themselves professionally, and that means having the self- and social-awareness to know when to put up, shut up or blow up. It also requires understanding different personalities, because some people learn easier after having a heart-to-heart conversation while others need a more direct -- strategically placed -- kick in the buttocks. Adapting one’s style to match the setting and people takes patience and acute observation if you don’t want to be the “fun sponge.” 3. Playing “nice.” Making friends with employees is not priority number one on a leader’s radar because decisions must be made that, well, won’t please everybody. Remember this: People need a leader, not a friend. Friends help you out with your business; leaders help you fit in according to the business. Leaders seek to understand and align your values and goals with the company’s vision and strategy. 4. Minding other people’s matters(micromanagement). Starting out as an entrepreneur, you have to wear all the hats, but as your company grows, so should you. The invoicing and logistics that you once ran no longer warrant your direct involvement because you’re now focused on higher-level planning. It’s not easy removing the tactical, operational and strategic hats that an entrepreneur initially wears and then scaling back to just one. But awareness is half the battle. If you want your company to grow then you must focus on what only you can affect -- and let your people do the same.
As a leader there are certain expectations that others have of you, such as acting the part and delivering a message, service or product of value.
What are your expectations? I would love to hear the list you came up with (you did it, right?) in the comments section below. This will help all readers -- including myself -- better understand the myriad perceptions we use to qualify leadership effectiveness. Related: 6 Ways a Leader Should Show Up
Energy Drinks Contain Ingredient Extracted From Bull Urine And Semen. A study done by Longhorn Cattle Company, tested some of the top energy drink brands such as Red Bull, monster etc. What they found might leave your stomach in a knot. They found that the drinks do, in fact, contain bull semen. - See more at: http://dailybuzzlive.com/archives/4763#sthash.OynLqKzJ.dpuf
Call me for all your fundraising needs. Are you as tired of candy and wrapping paper as I am. Everyone uses Avon. Who doesn't use shampoo, deodorant or perfume. That's why Avon is the perfect fundraiser. Avon offers fundraising fliers, each featuring a selection of our best-sellers. These exclusive fundraising fliers make your Avon fundraiser very easy to facilitate.
Best of all with me your organization will earn 40% (excluding *items which are specialty items)
Take the burden of fund-raising off you and your organization! With an Avon Fund-Raiser:
* There’s minimal paperwork to complete.
* No need to buy merchandise up front.
* No door-to-door selling. Participants can sell exclusively to families, neighbors and friends, and still produce a profitable fund-raiser.
* The average Customer order is over $15!
* Your organization can have its money in hand in as few as three weeks.http://youravon.com/valdosta
It started with one senior citizen, two dogs, a few Twitter followers and a dream. Terry Shipman, of Beaumont, Texas, tweeted a selfie with his two pet pooches on Tuesday night, along with the lofty goal of trying to get more retweets than Ellen DeGeneres now infamous star-studded selfie at the Oscars.
Make the Decision that can change your life!
Work from home, be your own boss.
• Discounts on your own product orders (Free Website)...
• Ability to purchase new products and demos at discounts up to 60%
• Scholarship opportunities
• Savings Plans
• Different Career Paths to choose from with room for growth
• Advanced training is available
• Group rate dental and medical discounts
• Discounts from a variety of merchants (Sprint PCS, Hertz, Carnival Cruises, hotels, etc.)
• And much more!
Here are the facts:
• You are guaranteed up to 50% earnings on your first order, and up to 50% earnings on your 2nd through 4th orders of only $50 or more! Thereafter, your earnings range from 20% to 50%. (based on online order submission)
• You will have a ton of free online resources provided, including the ability to place all of your orders, check inventory status, look up product information, and make payments online.
• There are no mandatory meetings to attend. Attending district meetings is optional. You can be, literally, your own boss.
• You purchase your products directly from the company. There are no shipping fees for your orders to be sent to you!
• Several incentives and prizes are frequently offered.
• You can start your own business for the cost of the start-up kit, only $10.00. Your start up kit has everything you need to begin your business and start taking orders!
• With me as your Leadership Representative, you will have all of the support you need to become successful and earn the profits you want.
You could start selling Avon right now to friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, and people you meet on a daily basis. If you desire, I will be with you every step of the way!
Please contact me to get started with Avon! Or go to http://start.youravon.com use reference code valdosta to get started now anywhere in the United States!
I have recently discovered how wonderful Mango's taste. So I make sure I have plenty on hand to get me thru the week. I don't know if it is chemo brain or it I really have never tried them and I grew up in Florida.